Sunday 4 September 2011

Book 2 - One moment, One morning

One Moment, One Morning by Sarah Raynor was our last book club read.  It was a book I had picked up in Waterstones as part of the 3 for 2 offer and had taken along for consideration.  Most of us read it and we mostly found it an 'unputdownable' book.  I read it in three days. 

The book focuses on the lives of three women who become involved with a death on the London to Brighton train early one morning.  It chronicles the impact this event has on each of them, how they come together to deal with their grief, the relationships they are dealing with and the relationships they forge with each other as a consequence of the death.

It's a nicely written book.  The chapters are split over a week and defined by the hours in that week.  It also goes back in time on occasions and one of the book group found it difficult to read because of this and so gave up on it.  I didn't have this problem but I did find the language quite emotive and I felt at one point the emotions were so detailed I wasn't being given the space to feel it for myself. 

However, the consensus of opinion was, although a very sad book (I cried buckets - but then I do), it was worth reading.  The ending is positive and the main female characters were very likeable.

1 comment: